Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Progression Of An Idea

The Inspiration:
Our everyday world that we experience, that is to say the collective, visual environment that we are immersed in and travel through on a daily basis, is a complex layering  of forms, lines, shades and shadows and information that  we process instantaneously. That visual environment is ever changing due to many factors including lighting, point of view and the speed with which we travel through that environment. It is a constant and ever changing input of visual information that we experience without realization. A photograph instantly translates the dynamic world we experience into a static memory of that specific place and specific time. There will never be another moment that has exactly the same conditions of information as the time at which a particular photograph was taken….ever. In that regard, there is no better starting point from which to create a composition from than a photograph. It is inherently unique, free from artistic intent (at least in origin), which ensures a creative process of discovery.

The Sangre De Cristo Arts and Exhibition Center
Hurtig, Gardner, Froelich, Architects
 
The Process:
Discover the influential visual forces of that particular moment, removing all informational content. In other words, Grass is no longer grass; it is an element in a collection of elements. There is no shade, shadow or sky; they are just individual elements that contribute to the moment that dynamic information became static.  Note that the iteration below (I’ll call it Iteration 5) is not the first iteration as I did not record every iteration I performed. I do however, believe it is a fair representation of capturing of the elemental forces of the initial image and how those forces began to inform and lead me to creative discovery.   

 Iteration 5
I like the iteration above, it has flow and energy and I can honestly say that I would never have created the composition purely from my imagination and in that sense it truly reflects the underlying forces of the initial genesis, the photograph of the Sangre De Cristo Arts Center.  If you have read any of my earlier posts, you know that I am all about the process and where does the creative investigations take me. What can I do to improve the product? It’s of critical importance to note that the creative intent was never to recreate a graphic representation of the image. The intent is to capture the energy and visual forces of the moment, and use that as a point of departure for creative exploration and discovery. That journey took me to the iteration shown below.

Iteration 17
Now the piece is developing a life of its own. Now, rather than taking cues from the initial image, I am discovering possibilities that are generated from the piece’s own history, energy and character.  In a sense, I am letting the piece design itself, and am merely guiding its development. Further explorations lead to the final iteration, the final product of this particular creative process.
The Solution:
Iteration 33
The epilogue:
I’m satisfied with the process, where the creative journey led, and ultimately find the end product, Iteration 33 a compelling and intriguing conclusion to the design exercise.  Perhaps the most rewarding aspect of this investigation is that it inspired me to explore other creative possibilities that would not be possible had I not travelled down this path of discovery……….  

Iteration 1…..

And the process continues……………
RBP
4.25.12

No comments:

Post a Comment